I don’t know about you, but I have a major sweet tooth. I find that I can eat a balanced diet overall, but just can’t resist something sweet after a meal. With that said, I’ve been cutting back on consumption of cakes/cookies/candy after the holidays (talk about major sugar coma), but still crave something from time to time. Enter what I like to call Whipped Meringue Delight – a delicious, post-dinner desert you can create in little to no time, is calorie-conscious, and won’t majorly sacrifice #NewYearDietGoals. To make this delightful dessert, you’ll need mini meringues or meringue nests (store bought, natch), cool whip or whip cream (I’ve used light cool whip to keep calories down but you can ultimately use whatever you prefer) and pomegranate seeds for a truly seasonal dessert. (Kudos to my mom for coming up with this combo!). For bonus points, you can top it off with a few fresh raspberries. This dessert is not too rich, but gives you that much-needed sweet fix. You’ll notice I have a ton of meringues assembled on one large platter, but you can make individual portions well (but heck, I can eat at least two meringues in one sitting). Simple step-by-step instructions are below.
Whipped Meringue Delight
- Store-bought meringues (mini meringues or meringue nests)
- Light cool whip or whipped cream
- Pure maple syrup
- Raspberries (optional)
- Wash and cut open pomegranate; remove seeds and place in bowl.
- Coat pomegranate seeds with maple syrup (to taste).
- Open package of meringues and place on large plate or platter.
- Top each meringue with cool whip or whipped cream.
- Add pomegranate seeds.
- Optional: Top off with a few fresh raspberries and, if desired, drizzle more maple syrup.
- Serve and enjoy!